Sunday, January 31, 2010

Palacio Real

Hey guys! Sorry for the huge gaps in between my posts! Things have been a little crazy here.
In order to properly catch you all up to date, I am going to make individual posts for each event throughout the past week. Just a forewarning...there are lots of photos! I will keep my posts limited with photos, but when I come home there will be a very long slideshow to see!

Last Saturday a group of us girls decided to get out and see the key tourism spots of Madrid. Our first selection was el Palacio Real. It is the Versailles of Madrid! The royal family use to live in this palace until about fifty years ago. Although it was not nearly as impressive as Versailles, it was still quite a sight to see.

It is very interesting to walk throughout the rooms of the palace because as you move from room to room, the development of the building is extremely evident in the decor. At times, it often seems like certain rooms don't even belong in the same palace! Unfortunately we never saw bedrooms and no photos are allowed inside the building; however, I have plenty of images of the outside as well as the outside of the royal family's church located right next door.

Images:

Royal Church (under renovation on the left wing)


The Courtyard
(I don't know where my other photo is but from under that bridge you lookout into the countryside. I imagine its quite breathtaking in the warmer months)

The Palace
(Looking from inside the courtyard)

The Main entrance
(This is not where visitors enter the palace. I couldn't find my full length photo in the folder, I must have misplaced it. If you look at the lampposts, those little white balls are actually decorated to look like soccer balls!)


No comments:

Post a Comment